Wednesday, October 24, 2007

1812 Overture (I)

My all time favorite

I knew this masterpiece through my seniors. I was in a Marching Band at that time. I was in Trumpet division. I was lucky to have two nice seniors who took care of me very much. One senior was Trumpet Solo and the other was Baritone Solo. We three usually gathered together after 5pm in front of the music instrument basement. At senior high it was rare to ignore homework but practice music. It was quite crazy. But we did not care. We took instruments out, sit on the field, and practiced. Music was all over. Of course, at that time nice music was by no means from me. I was a rookie. I learned how to appreciate music through them. My Trumpet senior knew a lot about brass. She had many collections. Most collections were Trumpet related. She was a Trumpet Solo and it made sense for her in favor of Trumpet when she shopped CDs. She liked to lend her CDs to us (good for us). At that time I barely knew anything about symphony and orchestra. I picked up knowledge through her opinions and her CDs.

I came across 1812 Overture and could not help loving it immediately. 1812 Overture has good amount of time in favor of Trumpets. You can hear Trumpet's signature masculine sound often especially in the climax of this overture.