Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Zelda

Nintendo triggers my interest in Zelda

Many people talk about this game.

When I was little, I did not have a game console. I played Nintendo or Sega only when I visited my aunts or uncles. I don't have any memory about Zelda. I knew this game was popular around the time Nintendo launched Wii. I saw a demo when Totof and I went to Valley Fair. I was amazed by the easy-of-use interface and the music. But, that was it. I did not think about buying Zelda until two days ago.

Totof got a DS for his birthday. He managed to get a Zelda DS version last week. He told me how fun it was. But... I could not imagine that since I barely knew this game. Two days ago, I borrowed the DS. Around lunch time, I had some spare time so I decided to try Zelda. Oh, the intro was well done. The brief intro gave me the info like who was Zelda, who was the princess, why Zelda was a hero, why the princess got kidnapped, and what I needed to do. The intro was done aesthetically.

Many recent RPG (role playing game) make their characters talk. But Zelda does not follow this mainstream. Oblivion from the Elder Scrolls is a perfect example. In Oblivion, all characters talk. Sometimes the talking helps but I am not really fond of this feature. The talking sometimes is disturbing.
In Zelda, you only hear background music, walking sound, fighting sound. You get instructions or hints through conversations or readings on objects. I like this way better. All moves are done through a Stylus. You tap an object through your stylus to open it, to read it, or to move it. You fight with monsters with easy stylus motions. For example, you attack a monster by tapping it with your stylus. You can spin your sword by making a circle around your character by your stylus. I am not a fan of shooting games. I can't locate the monitor right in Wii shooting or treasure hunting games. But, DS is quite different. The control part is so easy. As long as you can hold stylus right, you can play Zelda.

You will get tons of fun through Zelda.