Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Another visit to Saigon

The secret off menu sweet drew us to there

Off menu? Yes. Totally. I did not know this secret until after I came with some friends to there. One friend knows the manager. After we sit down, the manager came over to chat with him. He asked the manager to offer us the special sweet - Snow Mountain Bun. This sweet is not on the menu. This is a secret order.

Cool. I had heard many people told me how incredible this bun was. After 20 min, the first three sweets were served. The buns were all white. Guess its name was given since the bun looks like covered by snow. It was amazingly tasty. The best dim sum sweet ever. After this experience, I was always thinking to come back. Yesterday, I asked around and got Chun-Chun, Pei-Chen, and Yongjin to go with me.

We asked around. The senior manager did not want to help us get one snow mountain bun. He said you needed to get the bun by yourself. Oh, what the difference. If you know the manager, the manager serves you the food. If you don't, you need to serve by yourself. I don't like this attitude. Guess the fame and popularity make Saigon cares less about their customers.

After 20 min, Chun-Chun saw some white buns came out from the kitchen. Pei-Chen asked Yongjin to go there to grab one for us. She said Yongjin was big and stout and would be quite powerful for the dish rival. Interesting. But, Yongjin does not speak Chinese. So, as you can expect, he needed a helper. After a while, we got our first trophy back.

All my guests agreed this snow mountain bun was quite tasty. It was made fresh. Hot, but not burned. Crispy snow. Soft filling. Taro was with natural smell. Not artificial flavor. Totally deserved the fight.

After another 30 min, around the end of the lunch, Pei-Chen asked if we would like to have another sweet dish for ending. By all means. She said how about another snow mountain bun dish? Just on time we saw the senior manager got many buns out. Yongjin stood up and took the sheet. He walked toward the manager. We saw many people approached the manager with the trophy out. I could imagine a background music (for this tense and exciting moment). We saw Yongjin got a dish. We were all relieved.

The buns were as good as the first round. I could tell everyone likes it. When will be my next time to visit this place?