Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Legend of Zelda - Isle of Ember & Temple of Fire

A meet with the oracle and the fight in Fire dungeon

From the previous post, I talked about Lineback. Lineback looked different from what I expected. Lineback did not look like a captain. Lineback looked like an alcoholic (he has such dark eye circles). Lineback was reluctant to join me to save Tetra. At a sudden, the Grand Pa appeared (how could he be so fast?) After some reasoning, Lineback agreed to help. We boarded our boat and took off.

The sailing on the ocean was easy to manage. I could look up, down, left, and right. I could change route any time I wanted to. I could jump. Lineback and I went to the oracle island (where the oracle was). We landed. I saw monsters and slayed them. As usual, only myself went on the island. Lineback stayed with the boat. I arrived at the oracle's house but did not find her in the first floor. I went to the basement and suddenly heard her voice. She confined herself in a small room in order to prevent monsters from attacking her. So, my first big task was to defeat these ugly looking monsters. I managed to do so but the oracle did not go out at this time. She wanted me to take a look at the chart on the wall. She said if I could mark three torches in right locations then the door would open and she could go out. The oracle opened a gate on the east part of the island so that I could enter the dungeon (the Temple of Fire). To find the locations, she told me to see Karl. He was the apprentice of the oracle.

I wandered and entered to another house. I saw a note from Karl. It seemed like he was killed or captured (did not know at that time). I took off to the east side of the island. This island was filled with monsters. Some monsters were small and easy to kill. I was happy to slay them to get some treasure or energy. Other monsters like spiders moved quickly and were hard to defeat. I sometimes lost some energy during the fight. I accidentally went to the remote island on the east part. I saw a ghost. It was Karl. He was killed. He told me some secrets about the torches. I thanked him and departed to find a torch.

Time to adventure. I went to the Temple of Fire. Not easy to go there since so many monsters and fire lava drops here and there. I was stuck around the entrance. A tablet said "to enter I need to blow off the candles". But how? I leave this pleasure to you.

The Temple of Fire was filled with fires. I could have been flamed if I did not pay attentions on my steps. I knew there must be some treasures in this dungeon. The question was how to find them. The design of Zelda was sophisticated. You need to look around and don't overlook your surroundings. Sometimes, the prize of the overlook was a power gem, wisdom gem, or energy gem. These gems were precious. But at the time in Temple of Fire I did not know these gems' purposes.

I circled around to ensure I got every treasure. The adventure was linear which meant if I missed a thing previously I would have a trouble getting through the rest of the adventure. So I would know I needed to go back to previous place (room or floor). The adventure was fun. The fighting was done with stylus (wonderful). At that time I had not acquired any Zelda tools (you will see them). I only had my sword and shield. My energy level at that time was only 4 hearts which meant I could die quite fast if I was negligent.
The dungeon took me some days. The adventure was entertaining. My little fairy always gave me reminder or suggestion at the right time. I gradually got used to this linear type adventure. I got the famous boomerang from a treasure box (see the photo). In the last stage of the adventure I needed to get a boss key. With this boss key, I could go to the boss floor where the mean boss monster resided. Boss key took me some time to acquire. The most difficult part was fighting with the boss. Unlike other monsters, the boss required special skills to defeat. The defeat was not going to happen at one shot. The defeat incorporated boomerang. (good design) The fight was breathtaking.