Monday, December 3, 2007

October night

Saturday night was a Rock Band night

Rock Band is more fun when you have a team (a band).
Four people were in the band: Antoine, Alex, and us. We rotated roles so that everyone could be the guitarist, the drummer, the vocalist, or the bassist. At the beginning stage, we did not try the world tour. We were warming ourselves up by the local match. I played the drum since neither Antoine nor Alex had the experience before. I was so glad to show them drums. After two songs, I asked them if anyone wanted to try drums. Everyone gave me a positive answer. Indeed, the drumming part looked challengingly fun.

Alex played the drums after me. He asked me if I could suggest some easy songs. I said "try Bon Jovi's Wanted dead or alive". The drumming part in this song is entertaining. Also, it helps you get familiar with the foot petal. (I think the foot part requires skills) If you want to know how this song looks like, try my previous post. After 30 min, someone said "How about try the world tour?" Great idea. So we went to the world tour mode. Antoine and Alex created their own characters. Alex created a drummer called "Gordon". Gordon looked so manly. (White shirt with big muscles) Antoine created a guitarist called Melissa. Melissa has long hair and petite figure. Melissa looked cute and sexy (with mini skirt and stocking). If you put Melissa and my figure, Ana, together, you will feel like you see a twin.
We had four members. The largest band for October ever (our band is called October).

We tried London first (our home town is San Francisco). There are three venues in London. We picked the first venue. This venue was not easy. But we made it. Then, we switched to the second venue. We tried Aerosmith's "Train Kept a Rollin". Apparently it was not a good idea. This song was too hard for first time drummer. We failed and lost fans. But, this failure did not stop October. We moved to our home town and rocked them all. Alex sang Garbage's "I think I am paranoid". This was fun since the song was not for guys. So we heard Alex tried hard to mimic Garbage's female voice. How nice. He also tried the Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go". Entertaining. Antoine sang Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" (see my post for the music). Classic. Totof sang Foo Fighters' "Learn to Fly". He failed once and he tried to find some excuses so that no one could make fun of him on this.

We continued to try many nice songs. For instance, the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" and R.E.M.'s "Orange Crush". We liked Radiohead's "Creep" and Hole's "Celebrity Skin" (see my post). Faith no more's "Epic" was a hard one but we succeeded. The Weezer's "Say It Ain't So" and Nirvana's "In Bloom" were fun. Metallica's "Enter Sandman" was insanely hard (see my post and you will know why). We tried several times and lost tons of fans. But still efforts went to void. We then encountered another tough song - Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time". This time we managed to finish it thanks to the teamwork. The hives' "Main Offender" gave us a nice break. The Killers' "When You Were Young" relaxed us. OK GO's "Here It Goes Again" was fun. The Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop" was unexpectedly good. Of course we did not miss the chance of performing the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" and Deep Purple's "Highway Star" (see my post). The most frustrating song would be "Green Grass or High Tides". I forgot who the band was. The whole song was so painful. We tried at least five times with different tricks. But none of the tricks worked. We lost a lot of fans. Just doomed ourselves. At that point, all of us were tired. We had kept playing for more than 4 hours. So, we decided to let the band take a big break. October will come back with the same members in a week.