Thursday, February 21, 2008

Microsoft opens up

It is interesting to see Microsoft decides to publish its software codes. I am not a programmer. I don't know how much impact this action will be to developers. But, what I do know is that I get frustrated with my Microsoft software sometimes. I recently was thinking of trying Linux - Ubontu. I think Linux enpowers users more than Microsoft. If you would like to customize something for your computer (of course you need to know what you want first), and if you want to avoid paying license fees, then Linux sounds more attractive for sure. By all meanes that open source does not equal to free license. But, with open source, application integrations will perform better. Especially for companies, since companies need to pay millions (or thousands) to have enterprise level license, the expense parts are not negligible. If Microsoft's applications and other applications cannot integrate well, then companies will have another noticible expense. But, how soon will companies see the benefit of the open source? In 2 or 3 years, perhaps.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7257411.stm