Thursday, December 27, 2007

No-name chicken recipe

Look at my freezer and got me made this bold decision

The holiday atmosphere kind drives me nuts. I looked around and checked what was inside my freezer. I saw some chicken pieces. For some unknown reasons, I decided to cook them. I was thinking to follow Navaline's recipe. Navaline is a good cook but I am not. Oh, what was in my mind? It must be due to the holiday atmosphere.

The first time I had this chicken dish was in Navaline's. Navaline told us she used to have this dish when she was little. She saw her mom prepared the chicken, cut the fat out, chopped the lemongrass and garlic, and prepared the sauce. Navaline told Totof and me that this recipe was simple.

What you need just four ingredients.

- chicken thighs (the big one)
- some lemongrass
- some garlic
- some soy sauce

For the cooking, only oven and an oven friendly cookware are needed. The cooking has two steps. First step: cook the chicken alone for 45 min. Second step: cook the almost-good chicken with the rest ingredients for 15 min. After the cooking, just cool the chicken down to make sure these chicken pieces will not burn your guests' tongues.

Oh, sounds like a wonderful recipe. So, around one month ago, Totof and I tried to reproduce this recipe. But, we replaced lemongrass with ginger. (we could not find lemongrass in Safeway at that time) We also got a fancy blender :p for the chopping purpose. We got everything ready. Baked, chopped, and baked. The first attempt was not bad. The only drawback was that we baked too many chicken pieces. The fresh chicken pieces were tasty (although the skin was burned...) When the chicken became leftover, the tasty level dropped crazily.

My time to try. For this holiday season, I have tried twice. My first attempt was not for a feast. So, I just put the all available chicken pieces I had (2 pieces). I did not have blender at home. So, what I did was just to chop ginger and garlic with knife. The result was interesting. Lots of liquid. I guess the juice was from the chicken thighs. Still tasty. But just quite oily. I guess my chickens were quite fatty.

My second attempt was with a much better result. I changed the main characters from chicken thighs to drumsticks. I got some peeled garlic. Nice. I prepared all stuff in Totof's. So, I had the fancy blender at hand. Cool. By all means I used the blender to help me. After an hour, the dish was ready. Wow, the skin looked so crispy but not burned. The smell was good. Not much juice. My chickens this time were not soaked in oily juice. Good job. I could not wait to try it. Oh, I was amazed by myself. I was not a bad cook this time.