Thursday, January 3, 2008

Liou's House

Want to try a place whose chef used to cook for famous Taiwanese politicians
People talk about this restaurant. But, for some reasons, I did not have a chance to visit it. The sub-header might be cheesy. Ha.

Last Friday, Janice called me to see if I was interested in dinning there. Of course, I wanted to. I met many people there: Janice, Solomon, Winnie, Lily, Phil, and another friend (sorry I forgot her name). Winnie had been there before and was familiar with Liou's dishes. So, we relied on her opinions and ordered. I was really impressed by the dishes. This place does not have a specific specialty. For me, I like it since the dishes are just right. Just like the ones that I had in Taiwan. Dishes are not too salty. Not localized (covered by excessive sauce). This place is quite authentic. I will say Liou's house is among the top good restaurants with Taiwanese touch in the bay area. All dishes are with big quantity. So, you may need to go with at least 3 friends. This place's setting is good for family style dinning. 4-8 people will be good since you can order a variety. We ordered Shrimp wrapped in lettuce cups, Veggie wrapped in lettuce cups, Hunan tofu, Sticky rice with pork served in bamboo, Taiwanese chow-fun, and Shanghai style soup.

What impressed us

- shrimp wrapped in lettuce cups
Quite authentic. Like the good ones I would have in Taiwan

- sticky rice with pork served in bamboo
The best sticky rice with pork I have ever had in the States. The sticky rice is not Cantonese style. The chef cooked the rice with hands not with rice cooker. It must take at least 3 hours to make the sticky rice that tender and flavorful. The pork part was quite tasty. Phil was so impressed by the pork and kept saying this pork was the best one ever in the bay area. The dish was served in bamboo. Beautifully served.

- Hunan tofu
Good tofu should be cooked but still with tender inner part. This dish has been dashed with tasty sauce but the sauce was not too strong. The sauce was not overwhelming so that you can still have the chance to know how good the tofu was.

- Shanghai style soup
All of us were amazed by the soup. This place is not a Shanghai restaurant but its soup is at least as good as the one from a good Shanghai place. I did not try the pork inside the soup. But the soup base was well done.

Location:
1245 Jacklin Road, Milpitas, CA

PRECAUTION:
The place is hidden. If you are not a resident around Milpitas, you may need to have a good GPS or good co-pilot to guide you.