Monday, August 11, 2008

It takes two to get the happiness

Life has up and down times. So does relationship. Feeling happy all the time does not mean you have a happy relationship. Because lots of challenges await in your life. You may just be lucky so that you have not gotten any breath-taking hard time. A true happiness occurs when you and your significant other stand side by side to get through the hard time and learn how to support each other and how to handle the hard time next time. You will have doubts and other negative feelings during the process. However, once the hard time is over, the relief will reward you. All the couples can get through happy times. However, not all the couples can survive when hard times knock the door. Why? First challenge is how to share your true feelings (happy, fear, sad, desperate, upset) and how to alleviate your significant other's feelings. This is not something we learn from school. This year is quite harsh to me. I have more than ever negative feelings and hard times. I think I am smart. But when hard times visit me often I feel I am super stupid. Why? Because I often pick the wrong reactions. The wrong reactions damage my life and relationship. And the damaged life and relationship make me feel more miserable. Of course I want to get the support from the significant other when facing challenges. He knows I need help. However, none of us knows how to render the help. Now, I can see the point is that we don't know how to alleviate the other's negative feelings. It is a life lesson. Everyone wants to have happiness. So do I. I want to have someone knows me, cares about me, amuses me, protects me, and supports me until the end of the day. Sometimes I see some very old couples on the streets. I feel so touched when I see their hands hold each other. I know it is what I am looking for. Love has many forms. No one can have passion all the time in relationships unless the relationship is very short term. At the end of the day, passion of the love will go away. It does not mean the love is dead. Passion will be replaced by another form of the love. Just like the love shows in the 60-year-old couples. It takes time to understand your heart. The happiness will not come to you. You have to make it happen. Not just yourself, it takes two to reach happiness.