Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A rotten watermelon

When I was in the living room I often heard water sounds these days. The first thought was my neighbor's sprinkler was on more often. It was strange to have it on so often. In addition it was not on at particular times. But I did not go further to investigate anything. The past few days, every time when I opened the entrance door, I smelled something. Not really unpleasant. But I am a smell person. I generally am quite sensitive to the smells. The smell was not strong but I sensed it. I looked around and thought the smell was from the trash can. But I barely threw things in and the trash can was clean. I was confused. I did not know where the smell was from. Last night when I entered the door. Oh. The smell was super unbearable. Like something was rotten. I don't like heavy nor bad smells like others. The smell made me very uncomfortable. I heard the water sounds at the same time. Wait. It sounded like from that particular direction. I walked toward it. When I approached, the smell became more pungent. I looked into the sound and the smell. Oh no. I saw a watermelon half covered by yellow water. It was left from a BBQ some time ago. The sound was from it and the smell absolutely was from it too. I was freaked out. What was that? I did not dare to touch it. I saw water coming out from the bag. The water flew to the nearby areas including a newly painted shelf. I needed to do something. At least to stop the water from spoiling the room. I felt terrified. How could a fruit get rotten like this? It was a fruit. It was not an animal. Who left the fruit? What I got myself into? Luckily after an hour, the issue was resolved. A breath-taking night and yet quite intriguing - in a dark comedy way.