Monday, September 22, 2008

Time to reward

Reward? Yes, reward my tummy. I changed. From a no-cooking me to a cooking-is-fun me. I got a training from my sister-in-law. She lived in Shanghai for some years and at those times a mama-san prepared this dish for her. She liked it a lot and asked the mama-san how to do it. Since then this dish has become her signature dish (she has many). The dish is so tasty so I asked her to teach me. The teaching was interesting and yet frustrating. Not only due to my poor cooking skills, the non-specified amount for each ingredient also complicates the teaching. I did my diligence and was so looking forward to practe. The first try was successful. I have tried this recipe twice with modifications and both results were super yummy.

What is needed
- Rice cakes: 1/2 package
- Cabbage: 1/2
- Pork: 1/2 lb
- Mushroom: 1/2 cup
- Carrot: 3
- Green onion: 2
- Rice wine: 2 tablespoon
- White pepper: 3 tablespoon
- Soy sauce: 2 tablespoon
- Oyster sauce: 2 tablespoon
- Corn starch: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 2 tablespoon

On the show
- Cut cabbage, pork, mushroom, carrot to long and narrow pieces
- Marinate cut pork with the rice wine, corn starch, and soy sauce for 5 min
- Heat a big pan and add the oil in
- Cook the mushroom till it becomes golden brown
- Put carrot in
- Put cabbage in
- Put pork in
- Add 1 tablespoon white pepper
- Put green onion in
- Put rice cakes in
- Add 2 tablespoon white pepper
- Cook until the rice cakes become soft
- Add water if rice cakes resist to becoming soft after 2 min
- Add oyster sauce in the mix
- Turn off the heat after 30 sec

Then here is the easy and yet delicious dish. The portion above are for 4 people