Thursday, November 6, 2008

Guitar Hero 4

There are many improvements in Guitar Hero World Tour. I found the missing excitement. Surprisingly.

Two years ago, Guitar Hero 2 introduced a new entertaining world to me. It reshaped my impression of video games. I was not a gamer at that time. Yet, the excitement transformed me. I could stay up late just for it. For what I would sacrifice my sleep? Not for many things. Guitar Hero 2 has given me many good memories. One year ago, when I knew Guitar Hero 3 was coming, I was so eager to try it. But this game did not give me the same excitement as its previous version did. Guitar Hero 3 was more like an incomplete work. It misses some touches that are essential to video game successes. I could not retain my interest in it. Rock Band's drums took the chance and my mind since then has been engaged in the Rock Band drums. I think I was looking forward to seeing some improvements in the guitar part in Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band. Yet, neither Rock Band nor Guitar Hero advances or improves the guitar part in a major manner.

When someone told me Guitar Hero 4 and Rock Band 2 were coming, I was just casually nod my head to show the acknowledgement. I was not that enthusiastic any more. Because I did not expect to see any great excitement. For some reasons this attitude is excellent. I was amazed by Rock Band 2 last Sunday. And two days ago, Guitar Hero World Tour did the same thing to me. I saw something that has been absent for a while. I found the excitement. In guitar. And beyond my expectation, the drum parts in the new Guitar Hero are very fun. Perhaps not designed in the same way as in Rock Band. It provides another perspective. I am super happy.