Monday, March 9, 2009

Fish noodles

That fish noodles soup was interesting. I never had any fish noodles soup filled with chilies before. I have had fish soup, noodles soup, noodles soup with seafood, yet, a fish noodles soup topped with a layer of chilies no never. I and spicy food, somehow, never become friends. I respect spicy food and know many others love spicy food. Yet my stomach has little tolerance of spicy food. Either I'd have a severe pain after spicy food or I'd throw up. So you can imagine that. The passed weekend after a strenuous ski day, everyone wanted to have a feast. During the sleep or half sleep condition, my friends already decided to go to a spicy place at Berkeley. I was ok with it because I love good food. The restaurant is on a small-town looking street. I've been to Berkeley, not this area though. I was told we were on the north part of Berkeley. The place is big, filled with people, from hungry eyes, all the dishes on others' tables looked good. I was eager to try the dishes. I underestimated the spicy tolerance of others. They eat super spicy food. Super. The dishes they prefer are something that I would never try. Based on the names I could sense how spicy these dishes are. To play safe, they recommended me to order a non spicy dish.

The appetizer was red. A killer red. A ha. I knew I was in trouble. I tried a piece. They were right, I need ice water. For the record, I am not a person who orders ice water in Asian restaurants. I prefer hot tea. But the problem is that hot tea and spicy food are not friends. If you want something to help you digest and resist from the spicy food, hot tea is not the one you need. Then, here came the fish soup. It was impressive. A thick layer of chilies. Floating happily. I believe my friends were happy to see this. I was with a mixed feel. Seeing a new thing is great. Eating a new thing is great. But eating a new spicy thing like it is unknown adventure. Would my stomach survive? Lots of questions there. The cool thing was that the soup was not spicy at all. I think my friends were disappointed. Only me was relieved.