Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Oyster farm

I am from an island. But I never got a chance to see an oyster farm. On weekend friend invited me to go to a farm closed to Point Reyes, north of San Francisco. Should be fun, I thought. The road to there is horrible though. I got a severe motion sickness. The drive freaked me out. After 2.5 hours suffering we arrived at the oyster farm. It was my first time to see oyster farm. The farm is isolated. The view is so natural. The only artificial thing is the sticks used for oysters. I felt peaceful by looking at the view. The weather was good. The breeze freshed me. My sickness was gone after a few minutes of immersing myself in this.

The farm offers fresh oysters with various sizes. I initially didn't want to try the fresh one because I was afraid of the pollution. The farm is not really far away from San Francisco. I was afraid to eat in some mercury polluted oyster. My friend kept saying the fresh one tastes awesome. Well I stuck to the half cooked. With lemon and cocktail sauce the good quality of the oyster was revealed completely. After a while I was ready to try a fresh one. All oysters were in shells. I picked a small shell. This time I didn't need to open the shell myself. This friend is pretty proficient in opening oysters. I watched the whole process. It looked fun. I got my oyster. Poured some lemon juice. Excessive. Pushed the oyster in my mouth and no kidding, the fresh oyster tasted really good. I was surprised that I would like it. Normally I didn't like to eat something looks a bit black or too soft. Through the oyster I can taste the sea. I felt the San Francisco bay was in my mouth.