Monday, April 13, 2009

Daube

This daube has my most satisfaction. It was awesomely tasty.

According to Wikipedia, daube is a style.
Daube is a classic French stew made with cubed meat braised in wine, vegetables, garlic, and herbes de provence. Although most modern recipes call for red wine, a minority call for white wine, and the earliest recorded daube recipes call for white wine. Variations also call for olives, prunes, and flavoring with duck fat, vinegar, brandy, lavender, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, juniper berries, or orange peel. For best flavor, it is cooked in several stages, and cooled for a day between each stage to allow the flavors to meld together.

I have some good red wine. They were open for some time. Friends told me wine's taste lasts short, once you open a good bottle, better serve and finish within a day, you should turn it to a cooking wine otherwise. I wanted to give this wine another new life. I wanted it to know how good it is by giving the credit of a delicious dish to it. A bit silly. But I meant it :)

I then went ahead to getting all ingredients for this daube.

1. Two big chicken thigh with bone
2. Half box tomatoes
3. One bay leaf
4. One big onion
5. Wine
6. Salt
7. Black pepper
8. Half cup chicken broth

I washed the thigh. I removed the skin and fat. Skin and fat can contribute some flavor to the dish, but, for the health's sake, tossed them. I cut the thigh to smaller pieces. Put the chicken in a big pot. Then put the sliced onion and washed pearl tomatoes in. Poured all nice wine in. The amount of the wine was around half bottle. Put the bay leaf. Dashed salt and pepper. Covered the pot and marinated the ingredients.

I cooked the chicken after one day. One side story. The pot was a bit burned due to the carelessness. The wine volume was half yet I didn't set the first checkpoint accordingly. The pot delivered a burn smell after 30 min. I saw the bottom of the pot turned black. Was a bit sad. So put some chicken broth in and continued the cooking. After 10 more minutes the cooking was complete.

The taste of the chicken was superb. No burn taste at all. The chicken was tender and the vegetables were fully blended with the good wine. The juice was not abundant. Right amount. 200% satisfaction.