Monday, April 13, 2009

Banana nut bread

I remember I had a very tasty banan nut bread in Maui on the Road to Hana. We got it from a small local shop. The bread was moist. The shop was not frugal on banana. I saw banana and tasted banana at my every bite. It was a good memory.

Now I am competent at baking. Look around, I got banan, walnut, flour, sugar, and my good old mixer. Why not realizing my good memory to reality? I checked my recipe book, seems like I need to get baking powder. Alright, marked it on my note. Tomorrow I should have everything.

Making a banana nut bread needs patience and care. More than 20 ingredients are needed. I simplified the recipe to fit it to my like. List: 2 teaspoon baking powder; 2 cup all purpose flour; 4 tablespoon melted unsalted butter; 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk; pinch salt; 3/4 cup walnut; 2 very ripe banana fingers; half cup sugar; 1 tablespoon orange zest.

Preparation:
1. Mix eggs, yolk, butter, zest, and sugar with low speed for 3 min or until you see the dough turn to creamy
2. Put flour, salt, and baking powder in and mix the dough for 3 min
3. Cut and mash banana
4. Crash walnut to small size
5. Put the mashed banana in
6. Mix the ingredients
7. Put the walnut in
8. Preheat oven to 350 degree
9. Put the dough in a loaf pan
10. Put the loaf pan in the preheat oven for 40 min

I didn't put any butter or spray around the loaf pan since the dough has butter. The buttered dough is a non stick guarantee. Another tip is that when you mix banana with the dough you need to ensure the mix is not over blended so you can taste the banana in the bread. You wonder if you don't have to mash banana because you like to see banana trunks. My advice is that if you don't mash the banana to a good degree, the bread will be too loose when you cut it. The third trick is that the creamy form of the dough has to be there. Your bread will taste better if you mix the dough enough time. The 6 min make a difference.