Friday, November 28, 2008

Steam

Light and healthy food is always welcome. I love steamed fish. My mom has a nice steamed fish recipe and her steamed fish is one of my favorites. I have thought about cooking a steamed fish and yet, due to many reasons, I and a home-cooked steamed fish had not bumped into each other in my kitchen until recently. Weeks ago, I just couldn't wait any more. I overcame the most terrified obstacle to the steamed fish cooking - a steamer. I am a practical person and like a simple kitchen. I don't like buying a big collection of plates, cookware, bake ware, or a knife set. A steamer is not a necessity. So I was so struggling - should I get a steamer or should I wait? The truth was that I decided to get it. This big pot looks somehow professional. I have a good expectation for it. Got a 1.3 bl fish fillet. Yay, pretty happy and just wanted to rush home.

My memory is not too good these days. The specific amount in my mom's recipe quite fades away in my mind. Went to Google. Google has become my friend ever since I moved in. Whenever I have a question, Google it. The following is what I did. Of course I modified much from others' recipes. You know, mom's recipe is always unique.

1. 1.3 bl fresh fillet
2. 8 sliced ginger
3. A handful chopped garlic
4. 1/4 cup soy sauce
5. 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
6. 1/2 teaspoon sugar
7. 2 tablespoons Chinese wine (nice to have)

It was my first time to use the steamer. The time measurement could not be optimal. So I will not list how long I cooked it this time. Luckily the steamer's cover has a see through window. I didn't have any Chinese wine with me when I cooked. I realized the wine part is essential. Without the wine, the fish smelled a bit fishy during the cooking. So I put more ginger and vinegar. Good thing was that the end product was not fishy at all. A good texture and taste fish. So delicious.