Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bear experience

It's superb to see bears. Can you imagine that the bears are just two car distant from you? I was so happy. The road in Sequoia curves around the mountains. So you can imagine the turns. I got motion sickness easily these days. I was in a bit bad shape before the presence of the bears. Funny thing was that my sickness dramatically got reduced by the ecstasy. This time was my second time to Sequoia. I got a pleasant memory the first time. I recall I saw many wild animals, including three black bears, one mom and two babies. Of course I got some expectations to the second time. The park fulfilled my expectation in the first evening. We hiked on a very short trail and returned. Around 2000 elevation we saw three bears on the side. Our presence was fine by them, seemed like. The color of the bears was not black, nor grey. We wondered what bear we saw. We engaged a conversation with two other people from another car. They had outdoor telescopes at hand. The guy said these bears are brown bears. Aha who can verify his words? We all got off the cars. We enjoyed the bears a lot.

Second day we hiked on Tokopah falls trail, bear hill trail, alta trail (partial), and big tree trail (partial). The Tokopah falls trail is not long. But the snow and the lack of signs made the hike very exhausting. We spent a good amount of time on finding right way. We got lost :p The view was nice. Due to the snow the water amount of the falls was abundant. We got some nice pictures along the way and on top. Some of us were not just satisfied with the rock, the snow, and the water at the end of the trail. We climbed up and did some off trail. It was awesome. Absolutely strenuous. I like it very much. I haven't hiked any strenuous trail after I lost my big toe nail. I was very happy that my ability of hiking is getting back. Not the best condition, but I am so grateful for the recovery. No bear. Guess the snow hinders bears. Not many fresh grass or berries on the scene. Bears eat grass and berries. Besides, the snow slows actions a lot. It can be the reason of why we encountered no bear this day. Yet we got a very exciting coyote experience. It can be a coyote or a fax. It swiftly ran toward us. For food? The closest distance was just a car away. I felt I was holding my breath at that point.

Third day was short. We luckily saw two bears in the morning. The bears cared nothing about us. They were just outside our windows. We turned back for them for the closer look. Beyond the description. The joy.